George richard "dick" HanorExpert Witness & Retail Consultant
Assisting developers, retailers and landowners in the development & redevelopment of shopping centers.
The Hanor Group, LLCExpert Witness & Retail Commercial Consultant
Assisting national developers, retailers and major landowners in the development & redevelopment of shopping centers.
Expert Witness & Retail Consultant well established in his field of development and redevelopment of shopping centers.
Mr. Hanor has over fifty years of expert witness retail consultant experience in developing, redeveloping, operating and managing retail stores, shopping centers, lifestyle centers and more.
Mr. Hanor has experience in representing both landlords and tenants in all types of retail real estate endeavors. Specifically, he has experience with reciprocal easement agreements, ground leases, reciprocal operating agreements, shopping center development, redevelopment, operations, leasing, construction, research, design and development, mixed-use projects, property and lease negotiations, leasehold valuations, trade-area analysis and location strategy, purchase or sale of shopping centers and/or retail companies, due diligence services for investors and developers, expansion or contraction strategies for retailers, and expert witness testimony.
His skills include knowlege and understanding of; but is not limited to the following …
- Leases for the occupancy of space
- Ground leases for the occupancy of land parcels
- Construction of all aspects of retail facilities
- Operating agreements for the operation of shopping centers, etc.
- Land deals for purchase or lease
- Wrongful injury or death in the operation of retail stores or shopping centers
- Parking necessary for the proper operation of ideal stores or shopping centers.
- Revitalization of retail and shopping center spaces
- All aspects of due diligence that must be accomplished for development
- Tenant disputes
- Feasibility analysis for retail development
- Common areas that must be provided for the proper operation of retail development
- Restrictive covenants that might be provided for the proper operations of retail operations
- Anchors for proper operations of retail facilities
- Purchases of land or stores for retail operation
- Valuation of stores or land for retail use or reuse
- Disputes between landlords and tenants or third parties
- Department of other anchors for proper operation of shopping centers
- Reciprocal easement agreements between all occupants of shopping centers
WORK & EXPERIENCE HISTORY…
- PresidentThe Hanor Group LLC
- Executive VPLeonard L. Farber (Regional Mall Developer)
- Corporate VPFederated Department Stores, Inc
- R.E. Manager F.W. Woolworth Company
Mr. Hanor worked at Federated Department Stores of Cincinnati, Ohio, as Vice President of Real Estate for the entire nation, which required management of regional offices in Los Angeles, Dallas, Cincinnati, and New York City, as well as the creation of new stores and many large regional malls across the country.
Later, Mr. Hanor became Executive Vice President of The Leonard Farber Companies of Pompano Beach, the premier regional mall developer in Florida, where he was responsible for all corporate retail real estate developments. While with The Farber Company, The Galleria Mall in Ft. Lauderdale was opened.
Subsequently Mr. Hanor created The Hanor Group LLC of Vero Beach, Florida, which has been instrumental in creating major retail real estate developments and advising major department stores and others with regard to site selection and negotiations. Mr. Hanor has become the leading retail real estate consultant in Florida. Major retail clients have included Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom’s, Macy’s, Dillard’s and many small tenants.
UNIQUE PROJECT EXAMPLE
Mr. Hanor was retained by the McArthur Foundation to create a new downtown for the north end of Palm Beach County, Florida. A large regional mall was to be the main component of the development. Approximately 600 acres was identified, including 125 acres for the mall. Since the Foundation holdings in Northern Palm Beach County were so large other developers could not create a competing development. Mr. Hanor’s idea was to create a competition among all the nations’ qualified developers. He created a site plan, obtained all the necessary entitlements and obtained Letters of Interest from all the necessary department stores (5). This resulted in the selection of a very well qualified developer. A ground lease was created and negotiated. It is a seventy year ground lease with three rental features – a minimum rent based on a 10% return of the then current value of the land plus percentage rent on all gross rents of the mall small tenants. In addition, if the mall was sold or refinanced during the term of the ground lease or from time to time the Foundation would collect 25% of the net proceeds. This describes the basic facts surrounding the creation of The Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens.
- Represented Macy’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Mayors Jewelers, and Maus and Hoffman
- Sold over 400 million dollars of department store space
- Worked with George Moore, retired chairman of CitiBank, on several commercial projects in the vicinity of Marbella, Spain
- Served on ICSC and Urban Land Institute panels
- Participant, (including speaker) in numerous shopping centers, city and urban planning and mortgage banking meetings
Has had major responsibilities in the development of over 30 million square feet of retail space, including the following Regional Shopping Centers and other free-standing department stores throughout the United States as follows:
Town Center – Boca Raton
The Galleria – Ft. Lauderdale
The Gardens of the Palm Beaches – Palm Beach Gardens
White Flint Mall – Bethesda
Chestnut Hill Mall – Newton
Paramus Park – Paramus
Woodbridge Mall – Woodbridge
Riverside Square – Hackensack
Hickory Ridge Mall – Memphis
Oak Court – Memphis
Red Bird Mall – Dallas
Six Flags Mall – Dallas
Almeda Mall – Houston
Greenspoint Mall – Houston
Northwest Mall – Houston
Collin Creek Mall – Dallas
International Council of Shopping Centers
- Participating member and served on many panels over a twenty-five year period
Urban Land Institute
- Past member of Urban Development/Mixed-Use Council and Panel Advisory Committee
- Past member of Commercial and Retail Development Council and Research Committee
SELECTED PAST PRINCIPAL CLIENTS…
THE FORBES GROUP
GOODMAN FAMILY (BERGDORF'S)
JOHN D. & CATHERINE T. MACARTHUR FOUNDATION
SAK'S FIFTH AVENUE
LIST OF CASES AS AN EXPERT WITNESS.